Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Seeing Spots

This is one of my favorite times of year. The skies are (mostly) clear, the trees have leafed out creating dense shade and/or are working hard on creating next year's harvest of fruit. The pool is almost ready for the first swim of the season.
Pollen is flying everywhere. Everything is some shade of yellow.
And just when I started working on my most creative project of the whole calendar, I caught the flu bug. I thought I was in the clear, but noooooo! So, I sent off the appropriate forms to get extensions on filing all those tax papers. Yes, I waited until the last possible moment, as always.
[Dear Mr. IRS, Please note: I take it as my responsibility to pay my fair share of the tax burden and as such, do not get "creative," if that's what you're thinking. But do tell, what, exactly, does the Paperwork Reduction Act actually "do?" because I'm not seeing it!].
Thus, I'm glad I started working on some of these challenges--am I alone in disliking the word "challenges" to describe the art prompts? There must be a better word--last week or maybe two ago.
Over at EIM, the word is ladybug. I like seeing ladybugs as they are known to consume aphids, which attack my roses and some other plants. I can count how many I see each year; I'm up to "one."
My take on the theme:


I didn't follow the Diva to the letter of the law, but rather loosely painted watercolours with some splatter and splotches. Done with Sakura Koi paints and after that dried, my trusty Sharpie:


Then we get to the TwobyTwo. The keyword is..."key." I didn't take it too literally. If you've stopped by over the past couple months, you may have read about my son and his autism. He is a very fortunate and high functioning young man. What we're trying to do is help him negotiate this new part of his identity (his reaction to the official diagnosis was, "But I don't FEEL different!") as well as put together the pieces of his puzzle that will help him achieve his definition of success in this world.
It's also happens to be Autism Awareness Month and the logo for the biggest organization working on autism is a blue puzzle piece.
What that means to me is that I'm doing a LOT of reading, everything from biographies of autistics, scientific and medical treatises (is that the plural of the word?) and cookbooks.
And playing with puzzle pieces.



So there you have my contributions this week. Only fair, the IRS has theirs.
Thanks for visiting, have a brilliant day! Be sure to check out the creativity to be found at the other artist blogs and how they interpret these "challenges."

12 comments:

  1. Ha! Just brought my taxes to the accountant today... so you're not the only procrastinator! Lol! LOVE your Diva tile!!! .... it makes me want to go to the beach! And you're right... "Life is a puzzle" most days... for everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that Diva tile! Hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your diva tile, love the diva dance edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! The flu is awful. It can take weeks to recover. Hope you are doing better, especially with this gorgeous weather to enjoy. It doesn't last long in the desert. Your tile is pretty like spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncomplicated but beautiful and cheerful DIva tile.
    I wish you a quick recovery. My husband and sons have all an allergy and I know how they suffer, especially in Springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great representation of the lady bird - that's just it isn't it - red with black spots!!! Love your splashes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and so sorry to hear you got the flue - hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that you got the flu! I understand about getting things together and then your body has other ideas! I love the inchie, what a great take on the theme and I really love the twinchie. I am so glad that you are getting all the info and being proactive. It is good that your son doesnt "feel" different. Have a blessed one, hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. All are wonderful! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling better

    Lots of great projects and a wonderful inchie idea

    love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the flu bug has flown, Im suffering with a head cold grrrr! Delightful pieces as always....

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the graphic "ladybird", Dixx

    ReplyDelete