Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Embracing the...Gratitude

This week's Zentangle challenges could not have come from more polar opposites, but I've already begun to appreciate from whence they came and to wither they may goest.
The Diva lined up guest posts this month to concentrate on her family; much better time spent than managing the likes of all us tangly people. This week's really threw me for a loop and at first I was going to pass on it, but then I thought why should this one get the better of me? Elisa Murphy created the challenge to use our non-dominant hand to complete the task, or as she referred to it as, "Embrace the Yuck." While I'm not quite feeling the love yet, I did get a feel for why I really don't use my left hand and perhaps I should give it a better chance.
Diva Challenge 194

I used the random string generator at Tanglepatterns.com and it selected 098, which was a good start and Nipa had to naturally go in as it's already pretty jiggy. I won't get rich off the likes of this, but it was a good lesson in creativity. It's not terrible yucky. (segue to: that's what we call some Chinese food, instead of teriyaki...even though we really, really like it.).
OK!
The other challenge, IAST 67 used string 070 and just drawing that out was giving me fits (yes, I could just print the template, but where's the fun in that?). I had pondered the contents in my sleep so I was good to go this morning. And here enters unconditional love. I have surrounded myself--the "c"--with my significant other and my two children.
Thanks for Three People
It's not the prettiest exhibition of true love ever created, but what it represents to me goes beyond gratitude and so much joy, it brings me to tears. (and a segue to yesterday's post...)
With many thanks to you for taking the time to view my work and for the occasional comment. I appreciate you telling me what you like (or don't) so that I can add it to my body of knowledge.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely lefty tile. Very creative response to IAST challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JL. I appreciate that you took the time for my work and for comments. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  2. Here you can really see the difference between these two hands. Glad you took the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annemarie! It was a challenge, I learned what my left hand is actually capable of and to really sloooooow it down and breathe, which I have a tendency to forget to do. That ever happen to you, too?
      Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  3. Great job on the Challenge. Nice design and great job on the black fills. Your IAST Tile is great also. I enjoyed our Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, David! I appreciate you taking the time to see what I have drawn. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  4. Your challenge tile is sooooo dramatic! I love it! Your next tile is wonderful. I'm all about tiles that have a story behind them and this one made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the challenge, Elisa! I'm trying to work on depth and contrast and this wasn't a great place for such an exercise, but it surely slowed me down enough to notice what was going on. And to breathe. I forget to do that! My stories sometimes rattle around, but I'm glad you appreciated this one. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  5. It's interesting to see how straight you were able to do the line with your non-dominant hand. Usually, those are the wobbliest. Good for you to do it at all :) It's also nice to know that I am not the only one who works on tasks when I am asleep. I think maybe it's easier to be creative or solve problems when there are no other distractions. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! It took me a while to figure out how to better control my left hand--I was trying to PUSH the pen instead of PULL it toward me. Once I got that down, it moved so much more smoothly. And, yes, let sleeping brain try to figure stuff out; like Zentangles, it's not so much worried about actual outcome, just a resolution. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete
  6. You managed that left hand challenge very well! I love your posts, they always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je suis heureux que je peux vous faire rire . Qu'est-ce que la vie sans un peu d'humour ? Avoir un jour brillant! c

      Delete
  7. You did a great job embracing the "yuck". Mine just turned out, more or less, yucky. Interestingly, like you, and quite few others, I also chose to use that web pattern tangle. (I'm not sure of the real name for it). I also enjoy reading your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne for your kindness. I think you are referring to the pattern, "Florz." I'm glad you like what I've drawn and what I've written. Have a brilliant day! c

      Delete